Social Work/Transportation Resources

Social Work Resources

  • See our synopsis of what social workers do to care for AIM patients. They can assist with all the below referrals.
  • - A website that helps to find programs for people age 55 and over who may need help in paying for prescription drugs, health care, utilities and other essential items or services.
  • Meals on Wheels - Must be 60 and over have a physical or mental disability that prevents pt from shopping or preparing food. Cannot have Medicaid home care, home care worker, or family members who assit patient with meals or meal prep.
  • Senior Centers - Some centers provide free or minimal cost meals to those 60+
  • Electricity - Physicians can write a letter to electricity providers to avoid cut off with medical use (Az, OSA, meds needing refrig.)
  • Lifeline "Obamaphone" - Mobile phone assistance program for low income persons. A federal program but eligibility determined by states, candidates often have Medicaid/SNAP/SSI.
  • Housing resources - For undomiciled patients or those actively undergoing eviction, send to walk in social work. For patients with chronic, stable housing issues who are not homeless or currently being evicted, social work has only limited resources:
  • The provider can write a letter to landlord indicating impact of condition on pt’s health
  • Patient can file complaint with 311

Homeless shelter referrals - Send to walk in social work. Shelters are split based on single adult male/females, adult families, and families with children. Shelters often have strict intake times and limited availabilities.

Transportation Resources

  • Patient may be able to get a one-time Metrocard depending on insurance. Social workers can help with this determination.
  • Reduced fare Metrocards - For those over 65, on SSI/SSD. Form from MTA. Provider must attest to medical reasons.
  • Access-a-Ride - Provides semi-private transportation for patients who cannot take public transportation for medical reasons. Patient must call 877 337 2017 to schedule eligibility appointment. Contact social work (Emilia) for assistance in setting this up. See common forms section for paperwork.