Dr. Ariel Pablos-MÃ©ndez is Professor of Medicine at Columbia University Irving Medical Center where he was a fellow working on MDRTB in NY and around the world. He also worked as Director of Knowledge Management at WHO (Geneva, CH) and Managing Director for International Health at The Rockefeller Foundation (New York, NY). In 2011, Dr. Pablos was appointed by President Obama (with US Senate consent) to lead USAID’s bureau for Global Health. Dr. Pablos is a board-certified internist with over 100 publications, and has served in various boards and international commissions. He received his MD from the University of Guadalajara's School of Medicine and his MPH from Columbia University.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Anemia, Iron Deficiency
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Cholesterol Management
- Heart Failure
- Thyroid Disorder
- Ulcer Disorders
- Professor of Medicine at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
- Great West (National)
- Medicare Managed Care
- Essential Plan
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
- Local 1199
- Traditional Medicare
- Special Needs
- Compass (Exchange)
- Empire Plan
- Medicare Managed Care
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Residency: Cabrini Medical Center
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
Committees, Societies, Councils
1992-1993 Chair, Academic Standards and Admissions Committee,
Health Sciences Graduate School. University of Guadalajara, MÃ©xico.
1993-1997 Member, Admissions Committee, Masters Degree Program in Epidemiology. Columbia University School of Public Health, New York, NY.
1994-1999 Chair, Selection Committee. Fellowship in General Internal Medicine. College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY.
2000-2003 Member, Infectious Disease Epidemiology Curriculum Committee.
Columbia University School of Public Health, New York, NY.
2003-2004 Member, National Advisory Committee, Columbia Center for the Health of Urban
Minorities. Columbia University, New York, NY.
2008-2010 Member, Working Group on Global Health. Mailman School of Public Health.
Columbia University, New York, NY.
2018- Member, LEAD Committee. Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons,
New York, NY.
2018- Member, Admissions Committee. Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons,
New York, NY.
MembershipsandPositions in Professional Organizations
The New York Academy of Science (1984).
American College of Physicians (1988).
American Medical Association (1990).
American Public Health Association (1990).
Society of General Internal Medicine (1990).
Member of the Epidemiology Section Program Planning Committee. American Public Health Association. Washington, D.C., 1998.
International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (1999).
Elected member of the Governing Council, Epidemiology Section. American Public Health Association. Washington, D.C, 1998-2000.
American Society of Clinical Investigation (elected in 2003).
Member of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). USA, 2003.
- Internal Medicine
Honors & Awards
2005 Head of WHO's Delegation. World Summit of the Information Society (WSIS).
Tunis, Tunisia; November 16-18, 2005.
2011 Nominated by President Obama (March 10th) and Confirmed by the US Senate (June 30th) to the position of Assistant Administrator for Global Health at the U.S. Agency for International Development. Washington, DC.
2012 Honored as Global Health and Diplomacy Champion. NASDAQ Closing Bell ceremony. New York, NY. September 27, 2012.
2013 Commissioner. Lancet Commission on Investing in Health (co-chaired by Larry Summers and Dean Jamison). London, UK. 2012-2013.
2013 Head of USG Delegation. Third World Forum on Human Resources for Health.
Recife, Brazil; Nov. 10-13, 2013.
2014 Fray Antonio Alcalde Award. City Hospital and University of Guadalajara, 2014.
2017 Commencement Speaker. School of Public Health. University of Guadalajara Center Tonala, Jal. MÃ©xico. February 8th, 2017.
PablosÃ¢â‚¬â€˜MÃ©ndez A*, Raviglione MC, Battan R and RamosÃ¢â‚¬â€˜ZÃºÃ±iga R. DrugÃ¢â‚¬â€˜resistant tuberculosis among the homeless in New York City. NY State J Med1990; 90(7):351-355.
Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Netto EM, Defendini R.Infectious prions or cytotoxic metabolites ? The Lancet1993; 341: 159-161.
Frieden T, Sterling T, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Kilburn JO, Cauthen GM, Dooley SW. The emergence of drug-resistant tuberculosis in New York City(lead article). The New England Journal of Medicine1993; 328:521-526.
Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*, Sterling TR, Frieden TR. The relationship between delayed or incomplete treatment and all-cause mortality in patients with tuberculosis(lead article). J.A.M.A.1996;276(15):1223-1228.
Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*, Blustein J, Knirsch CA. The role of diabetes mellitus in the higher prevalence of tuberculosis among Hispanics. Am J Public Health1997;87(4):574-579.
Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*, Knirsch CA, Barr RG, Lerner BH, Frieden TR. Nonadherence in anti-tuberculosis treatment: predictors and consequences in New York City. Am J Med1997;102:164-170.
Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Barr RG, Shea S. Run-in periods in randomized clinical trials: implications for the applicability of results to clinical practice(special article). J.A.M.A.1998;279(3):222-225. (Selected as one of "The Year's Most Important Papers" at the 1999 meeting of the American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine, New Orleans).
Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*, Raviglione MC, Laszlo A, Binkin N, Rieder H, Bustreo F, Cohn D, Lambregts C, Kim SJ, Chaulet P, and Nunn P, for The WHO/IUATLD Global Working Group on Anti-tuberculosis Drug Resistance Surveillance. Global surveillance for antituberculosis drug resistance, 1994-1997(lead article). New Engl J Med1998;338(23):1641-49.
Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*, Chacko S, Evans T. Market failures and orphan diseases.Development1999; 42(4):79-83.
Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*, for the Working Alliance for TB Drug Development. The Declaration of Cape Town.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis2000; 4(6):489-490.
Barr RG, Diez-Roux A, Knirsch CA, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*. Neighborhood poverty and the resurgence of tuberculosis in New York City, 1984-1992. Am J Public Health 2001; 91(9):1487-93.
Luchsinger JA, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*, Knirsch C, Rabinowitz D, Shea S. Relation of antibiotics use to risk of myocardial infarction in the general population.Am J Cardiol2002;89:18-21.
Narasimhan V, Brown H, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Adams O, Dussault G, Elzinga G, Nordstrom A, Habte D, Jacobs M, Solimano G, Sewankambo N, Wibulpolprasert S, Evans T, Chen L.Responding to the global human resources crisis. The Lancet2004; 363:1469-72.
Chen L, Evans T, Anand S, Boufford JI, Brown H, Chowdhury M, Cueto M, Dare L, Dussault G, Elzinga G, Fee E, Habte D, Hanvoravongchai P, Jacobs M, Kurowski C, Michael S, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Sewankambo N, Solimano G, Stilwell B, de Waal A, Wibulpolprasert S. Human resources for health: overcoming the crisis. The Lancet2004; 364: 1984-90.
Schwartzman K, Oxlade O, Barr RG, Grimard F, Acosta I, Baez J, Ferreira E, Elias Melgen R, Morose W, Cruz Salgado A, Jacquet V, Maloney S, Laserson K, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Menzies D. Domestic Returns from Investment in Control of Tuberculosis in Other Countries.N Engl J Med 2005; 353(10):33-44.
Okeke IN, Laxminarayan R, Bhutta ZA, Duse AG, Jenkins P, O'Brien TF, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Klugman KP. Antimicrobial resistance in developing countries. Part I: recent trends and current status. Lancet Infectious Diseases2005; 5(8):481-93.
Landry R, Amara N, Pablos-MÃ©ndez, Shademani R, Gold I. The knowledge value-chain: a conceptual framework for knowledge translation in health. Bulletin of the World Health Organization2006; 84(8):597-602.
Lagomarsino G, de Ferranti D, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Nachuk S, Nishtar S, Wibulpolprasert S. Public stewardship of mixed health systems.Lancet2009;
Garrett L, Chowdhury MR, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*. All for universal health coverage(viewpoint). The Lancet2009; 374: 1294-99.
Gerber T, Olazabal V, Brown K, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*. An Agenda For Action On GlobalE-Health.Health Affairs2010; 29(2): 235-238.
21. Bhutta ZA, Chen L, Cohen J, Crisp N, Evans T, Fineberg H, Frenk J, Garcia P, Horton R, Ke Y, Kelley P, Kistnasamy B, Meleis A, Naylor D, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Reddy S, Scrimshaw S, Sepulveda J, Serwadda D, Zurayk H. Education of health professionals for the 21st century: a global independent Commission.The Lancet
22. Frenk J, Chen L, Bhutta ZA, Cohen J, Crisp N, Evans TG, Fineberg H, Garcia P, Ke Y, Kelley P, Kistnasamy B, Meleis A, Naylor D, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Reddy S, Scrimshaw S, Sepulveda S, Serwadda S, Zurayk H. Health professionals for a new century: transforming education to strengthen health systems in an interdependent world. The Lancet2010; 376(9756):1923-1958.
Latko B, Gomes TemporÃ£o J, Evans TG, Chen LC, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Lagomarsino G, de Ferranti D. The growing movement for universal health coverage. The Lancet 2011; 377:2161-3.
Clay R, Cabeza de Baca L, De Cock KM, Goosby E, Guttmacher A, Jacobs S, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Polaski S, Sheldon G, Steinberg D. A call for coordinated and evidence-based action to protect children outside of family care.The Lancet2011; Published online December 7, 2011 [DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61821-7.]
Bustreo F, Say L, Koblinsky M, Pullum TW, Temmerman M, Pablos-MÃ©ndezA. Ending preventable maternal deaths: the time is now. The Lancet Global Health2013; published online August 19, 2013 [http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(13)70059-7]
Campbell J, Buchan J, Cometto J, David B, Dussault G, Fogstad H, Fronteira I, Lozano R, Nyonator F, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Quain EE, Starrs A, Tangcharoensathien V. Human resources for health and universal health coverage: fostering equity and effective coverage. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2013; 91:853-863.
Jamison D, Summers L, et al. for The Lancet Commission on Investing in Health. Global health 2035: a world converging within a generation. The Lancet2013; 382:1898-1955.
Hillevi EngstrÃ¶m, Pe Thet Khin, Awa Coll-Seck, et al. Reinvesting in health post-2015. The Lancet2013; 382:1861-1864.
Raviglione M, Uplekar M, Vincent C, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A. Rebalancing the global battle against tuberculosis.The Lancet Global Health 2014:2(2):e71-e72.
Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*, Radloff SR, Khajavi K, Dunst SA. The Demographic Stretch of the Arc of Life: Social and Cultural Changes That Follow the Demographic Transition. Glob Health Sci Pract 2015; 3(3):341-351.
Jacovella D, Evans TG, Claeson M, Kagia R, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A. Global Financing Facility: where will the funds come from? Lancet. 2016; 387:121-122.
32. Participants at the Bellagio Workshop on Implementing Pro-Poor Universal Health Coverage, Bump J, Cashin C, Chalkidou K, Evans D, GonzÃ¡lez-Pier E, Guo Y, Holtz J, Htay DT, Levin C, Marten R, Mensah S, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Rannan-Eliya R, Sabignoso M, Saxenian H, Feachem NS, Soucat A, Tangcharoensathien V, Wang H, Woldemariam AT, Yamey G. Implementing prop-poor universal health coverage. Lancet Glob Health2016 Jan;4(1):e14-6. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(15)00274-0. Epub 2015 Dec 12.
33. Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*, Cavanaugh K, LY C. The New Era of Health Goals: Universal Health Coverage as a Pathway to the Sustainable Development Goals. Health Systems & Reform 2016; 2(1):15-17.(DOI:10.1080/23288604.2015.1120377)
34. Evans T, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A. Shaping of a new era for health financing. Lancet 2016; 387:2482-2484.
35. Zignol M, Dean AS, Falzon D, et al. Twenty Years of Global Surveillance of Antituberculosis-Drug Resistance. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:1081-1089.
36. Ly C, Eozenou P, Nandakumar A, Pablos-Mendez A, Evans T, Adeyi O. The economic transition of health in Africa. Health Systems & Reform 2017; 3:290-300,DOI: 10.1080/23288604.2017.1325549
37. Collins T, Adams J, Chestnov, Evans T, Feigl, Nugent R, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Srivanichakorn S, Webb D. Addressing NCDs: A unifying agenda for sustainable development. Global Public Health 2017 Oct 28:1-6. [doi: 10.1080/17441692.2017.1394481.]
38. Carroll D, Daszak P, Wolfe ND, Gao GF, Morel CM, Morzaria S, Pablos-MÃ©ndez A, Tomori O, Mazet JAK. The GlobalVirome Project. Science2018 359:872-874. [https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aap7463]
39. Pablos-MÃ©ndez A*, Raviglione MC. A New World Health Era. GH Science & Policy 2018; 6(1):8-16 [https://doi.org/10.9745/GHSP-D-17-00297]
Global Health Activities
See Past Professional Activities and Community Service
Currently working on the economics of UHC globally and in the USA